Brunswick's drop in the rankings is more a reflection of teams joining the list, as the Railroaders have maybe the deepest team in Frederick County. (Photo by Craig Amoss)
At this point, most counties who planned a spring cross country season have begun, and many counties are planning championship races next week after spring break. This week we expand our rankings to a full 25 teams. We cannot rank teams who we do not have results from!
1. Centennial High School Eagles (hold)
The Eagles put six in the top nine last week at River Hill. Could they fill half of the top ten at the county championships?
2. Howard High School Lions (up 1)
Even without junior Joseph Raudabaugh, the Lions scored a big win over Mt. Hebron last week.
3. Mt. Hebron High School Vikings (down 1)
With both teams missing a top runner, the Vikings fell behind Howard by 15 points at last week's meet at Oakland Mills. The race for the second spot in the county will be a good one.
4. River Hill High School Hawks (up 1)
The Hawks averaged 17:49 on their home course last Thursday without one of their top runners in senior Joshua Galindo.
5. Marriotts Ridge High School Mustangs (down 1)
The shorthanded Mustangs fell just two points behind Oakland Mills last week and have looked great at full strength.
6. Long Reach High School Lightning (hold)
Cameron Hindle remained undefeated on the season, but last week's fourth-place finish behind Glenelg proves they will have to be at full strength if they are to challenge for a top-six spot in the county.
7. Dulaney High School Lions (hold)
8. Walt Whitman High School Vikings (previously unranked)
Their 27-30 season-opening victory against Walter Johnson was perhaps not quite as close, as the Vikings put 11 runners before the Wildcats' fifth.
9. Chopticon High School Braves (up 8)
The return of Jeffrey Wedding to the fold gives Chopticon the best team in Southern Maryland, with four boys running averaging well under 17:30 on their home course.
10. Glenelg High School Gladiators (down 1)
Glenelg's strong pack of five keeps them ready to pounce on a top-six spot at the county championships should any other team falter.
11. Winston Churchill High School Bulldogs (previously unranked)
Neither Churchill nor host B-CC featured a single senior in their top seven at their season-opening meet last week.
12. Gov. Thomas Johnson High School Patriots (down 1)
Even without senior Mack McKeever the Patriots took on - and held off - all comers at their home meet on Friday.
13. Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School Barons (previously unranked)
As mentioned above the Barons did not have a single senior among their top seven runners against Churchill.
14. Liberty High School Lions (down 6)
It doesn't appear as if any Carroll County team will be able to slow down the Liberty boys this year.
15. Atholton High School Raiders (down 5)
Missing their fifth runner in Justin Werner could have been the difference between third and fifth place at Oakland Mills on Thursday.
16. Oakland Mills High School Scorpions (down 2)
Baidy Ba nearly missed out on the Oakland Mills course record last week, in soggy conditions.
17. Oakdale High School Bears (down 5)
The Bears scored another close victory over Urbana on Saturday.
18. Walter Johnson High School Wildcats (previously unranked)
The Walter Johnson boys have a solid top three and are one more runner away from joining the other top Montgomery County teams.
19. Leonardtown High School Raiders (previously unranked)
They averaged 18:04 in a convincing win at Northern last Monday.
20. Linganore High School Lancers (down 2)
Sophomore Cole Williamson did not run last week but could be a key factor if any team is to close the gap on Thomas Johnson at the county meet.
21. Brunswick High School Railroaders (down 6)
It's entirely possible that the 1A Railroaders have the best depth in Frederick County this year after putting eight boys (and only one senior) below 20 minutes in the middle of a tempest at last week's meet.
22. Urbana High School Hawks (down 6)
They should be right in the thick of the race for the second spot at the county championships along with Oakdale, Brunswick and Linganore.
23. Poolesville High School Falcons (previously unranked)
The Falcons cruised to victory in their home opener with an 18:31 average.
24. Reservoir High School Gators (down 11)
The Gators' underclassman-laden squad will be looking to break into the top eight at the county championships.
25. Wilde Lake High School Wildcats (previously unranked)
Henry Hopper is in contention for top freshman of the year distinction after a 17:26, ninth-place finish at Oakland Mills on Thursday.
Meets to Watch
Monday: Arundel, North County and Severna Park head up to Chesapeake-AA; Annapolis, Broadneck and Southern will compete in a race held at South River.
Tuesday: Broadneck, Northeast, Old Mill and South River will compete at Chesapeake-AA.
Wednesday: Arundel, Crofton, Glen Burnie and Meade will compete at South River.
Thursday: Chesapeake-AA and Severna Park will head to South River.