Eleanor Stafford and the Middletown girls scored a big win on Saturday against Frederick County rivals Brunswick. (Photo by Craig Amoss)
Some counties and conferences have begun the 2021 outdoor season, but the 2020-21 cross country season hasn't ended yet! If we do not have results from your team this season, please send them in! We can still include new teams in our final rankings after next weekend.
1. Howard High School Lions (hold)
They put seven in the top 13, and then five in the top six in the JV race at the Howard County Championships.
2. Severna Park High School Falcons (previously unranked)
Seems likely the top two are heading for another matchup at the 4A state meet next fall.
3. Urbana High School Hawks (down 1)
Of this year's stacked Hawks team (eight girls under 21:30), Ella Auderset is the only senior.
4. Centennial High School Eagles (up 2)
Seniors Katerina Talanova and Michelle Weaver led the Eagles to a terrific second-place performance on their home course on Saturday.
5. Atholton High School Raiders (down 2)
Aanchal Kasargod (third place) was the team's top finisher at the county championships since Alison Smith won back-to-back titles in 2005-06.
6. Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School Barons (down 2)
A big win at Walter Johnson last week sets up the Barons to win the toughest division in Montgomery County.
7. Walter Johnson High School Wildcats (previously unranked)
The guard is changing for the Wildcats as four of their top eight runners this year are freshmen (and none are seniors).
8. Hereford High School Bulls (up 3)
Senior Caroline Benda, heading to college on a swimming scholarship, dropped a 19:09 performance in her last race on her home course to bolster Hereford's season best page.
9. Leonardtown High School Raiders (down 1)
They beat out Huntingtown in what was possibly a preview of the top two teams at the upcoming SMAC Championships.
10. Middletown High School Knights (down 3)
Scored a huge win over Brunswick, negating the Railroaders' depth by going 1-2-4.
11. Brunswick High School Railroaders (down 6)
Will be looking to get back at Middletown this upcoming weekend in what should be a great battle for the second spot in Frederick County.
12. Huntingtown High School Hurricanes (down 2)
Really the only team in the SMAC without a clear-cut top runner, but will still be very competitive these final couple days.
13. Oakland Mills High School Scorpions (up 1)
Ella Harris turned it on late in the spring to make it a Scorpion sweep at the county championships and helped Oakland Mills tie their highest finish since fall 2012.
14. Reservoir High School Gators (down 5)
The Gators finished fifth in a stacked county led by three juniors - watch out for them in the fall.
15. Great Mills High School Hornets (up 4)
The Brotherton sisters led Great Mills to a big win over Northern last week.
16. Northern-Calvert High School Patriots (down 4)
Almost every race in the SMAC this season has been tight, and the battle between Great Mills (26) and Northern (29) was no exception.
17. Dulaney High School Lions (down 1)
18. Oakdale High School Bears (down 3)
Seniors Aubrey Schaffer and Hayley Ross have the Bears right in the mix for the second spot in Frederick County after a convincing win on their home course over Linganore and Frederick.
19. Broadneck High School Bruins (previously unranked)
Watch out for the Bruins as a sneaky challenger in a stacked 4A classification next year that already includes the top three teams on our list.
20. Chesapeake-AA High School Cougars (previously unranked)
Sophomore Bridgette van Valkenburgh leads a Chesapeake team that has put five girls between 21:41 and 22:53 so far this year.
21. South Carroll High School Cavaliers (down 8)
22. Marriotts Ridge High School Mustangs (hold)
The Mustangs broke into the upper half of Howard County with a team that featured three freshmen and two sophomores.
23. Chopticon High School Braves (down 2)
24. Glenelg High School Gladiators (down 7)
They finished seventh in the county but just 13 points behind Reservoir in fifth place; what's more, they will have a chance to run it back with the same team in the fall as they featured five juniors and a sophomore.
25. Liberty High School Lions (down 1)
They could be hitting their groove at the right time after handily taking down Westminster and Century last week.