Coming off a win over Thomas Johnson the Urbana boys will be looking to capture their second county title since 2007 (and first since 2015). (Photo by Craig Amoss)
Some counties and conferences have begun the 2021 outdoor season, but the 2020-21 cross country season hasn't ended yet! If we do not have results from your team this season, please send them in! We can still include new teams in our final rankings after next weekend.
1. Severna Park High School Falcons (previously unranked)
All year the Falcons have proven themselves still easily the top distance program in the state and surefire 4A state champions had there been a cross country season.
2. Centennial High School Eagles (down 1)
The emergence of senior Fernando Duraes (fifth at the Howard County Championships) means Centennial would have been the overwhelming 3A favorites this year.
3. Mt. Hebron High School Vikings (hold)
William Jones' return boosted the Vikings into the second spot at the county championships.
4. Howard High School Lions (down 2)
Junior Joseph Raudabaugh continues to build on a breakout junior year, leading Howard with a fourth-place finish at counties.
5. Walt Whitman High School Vikings (up 3)
Whitman sits 2-0 in Montgomery County's toughest division (wins over Walter Johnson and Winston Churchill).
6. Walter Johnson High School Wildcats (up 12)
A fast home course (16:37 average) brought out the absolute best in Walter Johnson last week
7. River Hill High School Hawks (down 3)
The Hawks held off the rest of the county without senior Joshua Galindo and graduate only one senior from their varsity squad.
8. Marriotts Ridge High School Mustangs (down 3)
The Mustangs finished in the top five at the Howard County Championships for the first time in program history on Saturday.
9. Dulaney High School Lions (down 2)
10. South River High School Seahawks (previously unranked)
11. Long Reach High School Lightning (down 5)
The Lightning were able to secure a top-six finish at the county meet for the first time since at least 2005 and three of their top four will be back next year.
12. Oakland Mills High School Scorpions (up 4)
After some recent close calls (Frederick Eiland in 2018, Joey Navarro in 2015-16, Sam Andrews in 2011), Baidy Ba not only captured an individual title for Oakland Mills but broke the Centennial three-mile course record in the process.
13. Chopticon High School Braves (down 4)
The Wedding brothers will be looking to lead Chopticon to a SMAC championship next week after the narrowest of second-place finishes in 2019.
14. Winston Churchill High School Bulldogs (down 3)
None of Churchill's varsity runners this year are seniors, setting them up well for the 2021 fall season.
15. Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School Barons (down 2)
They're in the same exact spot as the team above, although sitting at 0-2 in the toughest division in Maryland.
16. Glenelg High School Gladiators (down 6)
With an experienced group that all ran between 16:48 and 17:08 for three miles this year, Glenelg would have been in position to compete for a top-five spot at the 2A state meet for the first time since 2010.
17. Gov. Thomas Johnson High School Patriots (down 5)
Without senior Alexander Lombardo the Patriots finished just behind Urbana at Saturday's meet. With Lombardo they are potentially Frederick County favorites.
18. Chesapeake-AA High School Cougars (previously unranked)
19. Liberty High School MD Lions (down 5)
20. Atholton High School Raiders (down 5)
The combined score of their top two returners from counties (38 points) is bettered by only Centennial and Mt. Hebron.
21. Oakdale High School Bears (down 4)
The defending 2A champions edged Linganore on Saturday and are still contenders in a muddled Frederick County boys field.
22. Leonardtown High School Raiders (down 3)
23. Brunswick High School Railroaders (down 2)
Without a low stick the Railroaders will be facing an uphill battle at the county championships, but have competed with bigger schools in every race so far this spring.
24. Urbana High School Hawks (down 2)
The Hawks will be shooting for their first county title since 2015 this coming Saturday.
25. Poolesville High School Falcons (down 2)